||A dog house is a perfect summer project so your favorite pet will be protected from the elements this winter.
It should not be too big or too small for the intended dog because of the potential for excessive heat loss or constriction. Browse through the free plans below to find a perfect house for your dog.
Build dog houses with free plans for a fraction of the cost of purchasing. Over 18 free dog house plans available to choose from.
The free plans listed are not only for dog houses, but also include free plans for dog beds.
Most of these plans can be built with basic tools and materials.
If you don't find a perfect one to build in the free section, try the pay section to purchase dog house plans for a small cost.
Tips for Building a Dog House
- - Pressure-treated wood is preferable for building a dog house but it should not be used anywhere the dog may chew on it. Pressure-treated wood can be toxic to your dog. Consider using it only on the roof and floor, or not at all if your dog is a chewer.
- - Consider designing the dog house raised up off the ground. It will help keep moisture and water out and help insulate the cold floor.
- Regularly check the insulation.
- Build the roof at an angle to the dog house so rain water won't accumulate on the roof.
- A removable roof helps in cleaning, but your dog may take it off also.
- Make sure the dog house is large enough for your dog to lie down without being cramped.
- If you think your dog will enjoy sitting on top of his dog house, don't add roofing shingles. The shingles can get very hot in the summer from the sun.
- Consider adding a vent on the rear wall of the dog house for extra ventilation.